31 July 2008

Thankful Thursdays: In Sickness and In Health

"A joyful heart is good medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)

Today I'm thankful that I have the flu. Huh? Yes, you heard me. Why? Because I'm commanded to rejoice in all circumstances, welcoming everything as God's kindness and wisdom to me. I don't know why I am sick right now, but He knows. And who am I to grumble against what He has willed?

On the other hand, I'm thankful that I can pray for healing without a guilty conscience. Praying for something to change does not mean that you're discontent. You can be thanking the Lord for your current circumstances, saying "Thank you for choosing to arrange it this way," even as you say to Him, "But please have mercy upon me and change it." Of course, your continued thankfulness should depend upon a favorable response. Instead, you need to submit your desires to Him, and trust that He will give you the best answer.

Finally, I'm thankful for my brother Luke: if a joyful heart is good medicine, he's a great doctor. Last night he came into my room and told me funny stories, engaged me in conversation (in spite of my crabbiness and sore throat), and generally distracted me from my awful self-pity. :) What a good friend. Thanks, Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment