02 November 2010

How precious to me are your thoughts

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable His ways!

For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been His counselor?
Or who has given a gift to Him
that he might be repaid?

For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen.

-Romans 11:33-36

---

Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me . . .

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.

-Psalm 139

Comparing these two passages this morning, I was newly amazed by how the depth and inscrutability of God's ways can actually be "precious" to His children, rather than a source of confusion. It was the mysterious wisdom of God, after all, that planned for the inclusion of the Gentiles through the death and resurrection of Christ. And so we do rejoice in his "unsearchable judgments," for they ordained our salvation.

I am a girl who likes to understand. If something is confusing-- "inscrutable" as it were-- that generally frustrates me. Here, however, it's marvelous simply to rest in God's precious thoughts that save, lead, and hold me.

No comments:

Post a Comment