31 January 2011

Adding to the arsenal

Slowly and steadily, during college and over the past year of marriage, I have been adding to my breakfast arsenal. Such an important meal deserves attention, says I.* And I've never lacked willing guinea pigs. So . . . I've worked my way through eggs of all kinds, biscuits and scones, French toast, baked oatmeal, coffee cake and fried potatoes and bread. We are also big pancake fans, and when I make something on a weekly basis, I like to have several varieties up my sleeve. More reasons for maple syrup are always welcome!

But oatmeal pancakes have confounded me; they never come out right. No matter what recipe I try, they are too dense, sticky, sloppy, flat, and boring. I have been trying to find a good way to make oatmeal pancakes for a long time. Like, a year. Failure.

But victory is at hand! I've conquered the oatmeal pancake thanks to this delightful cooking blog that I just discovered. (The author, Bridget, also has a wonderful pizza dough recipe. I'd actually recommend it above what I posted earlier.)

Here is my slight adaptation of her oatmeal pancakes, which in turn are an adaptation of another recipe that I tried and discarded months ago; Bridget fixed the problems with that recipe and voila! Perfection. They were pretty simple to make. Jared gave them his stamp of approval ("THESE are GOOD"), and the leftovers were delicious toasted. What more could I ask?

---

Oatmeal Pancakes
(originally from The Way the Cookie Crumbles)

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups milk, divided
1/2 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten with fork
4 tablespoons melted butter

1. In large bowl stir together oats, yogurt, and 1 cup milk. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let soak 12-24 hours. I just leave it on the counter, but refrigeration works if your counter space is lacking.
2. In the morning, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Pour remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten eggs, and melted butter into oat mixture, and whisk well. Fold in flour mixture.
3. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat. I have an electric griddle and set it to 325, which was perfect. Usually I set it to 375 but a dense batter like this requires a lower heat. Also, my griddle needs no greasing, but yours might,
4. Use about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook first side until golden brown on the bottom and set around the edges, then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side; you may need to adjust heat or cooking time after the first batch. Remove to platter or to wire rack. Serve with whatever you want, as long as it involves butter.

*Yes. I KNOW that's the improper form of the verb. Don't give me your silly English major jokes.

{image: the annual Pancake Race in Olney, a town in Buckinghamshire, England}

No comments:

Post a Comment