28 July 2011

can't get enough of . . .

1) Harry Potter. It finally happened. I know I'm a decade behind the curve, but I picked up the first two at the library on Tuesday, have already finished them, and want to check out the next two before the weekend.

They're not brilliant thus far, but I really love the characters, and also appreciate the inclusion of so many mythical traditions, the whimsical twists, and the overall themes. Rowling's writing is not bad, despite the critiques I've heard, and especially when you consider that it is a children's book. The use of magic differs quite a bit from Tolkien or Lewis, as there is a foggier line between good and evil. Not sure what I think of that . . . we'll see as the series unfolds. I certainly like it enough to keep reading. :)

Eggplant Love

2) Roasted eggplant. Love this so much. Jared hates it. :) So I do not have to share, and thank you, I am more than happy to keep all of the toothsome, savory, garlicky goodness to myself.

Garlic Roasted Eggplant
(adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook)

1 large eggplant, washed and cubed
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil (or more)
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
big pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
even bigger pinch dried basil

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Toss together all ingredients in very large bowl. Add a bit more olive oil if things look dry-- you don't want oil dripping into a pool at the bottom of the bowl, but you do want everything to be well coated so it does not stick to the pan.
3) Spread in single layer in large glass or ceramic dish. Roast 30-35 minutes, until eggplant is tender. (No still-spongy eggplant, please.) Best eaten at room temperature.

{image credit: Kalina813}

3 comments:

  1. There must be something with husbands and eggplant.... Alexander is skeptical from lots of bad eggplant experiences and I'm trying to convert him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I don't think it is popular with men. Maybe the texture? (That is Jared's objection to a lot of his unfavorite foods. Not so much taste as texture. Me, I like textures of all kinds, from a crunchy pickled carrot to a creamy chocolate pudding. Whatever.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I just made this. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete