18 June 2012

O Lord, you will ordain peace for us

Yes, it's 2:45 in the morning. My mid-afternoon cup of coffee yesterday was evidently ill advised. I don't think I will be nodding off any time soon either. What better time to read Scripture? This passage strikes me as particularly applicable :)
"In the path of your judgments we wait for you, Or Lord; your name and remembrance are the desire of our soul. My soul yearns for you in the night; my spirit within me earnestly seeks you . . . O Lord, you will ordain peace for us, for you have indeed done for us all our works."
(from Isaiah 26)
I have been wondering recently whether or not I am on the right path. It's typically a general angst (have I missed the boat? followed the wrong road? lost an opportunity to, I don't know, fulfill my destiny or something? WOE) but sometimes it does pop up in specific situations (i.e. should I keep teaching?).

Funny how a feeling like this has both good and bad aspects. It can be a symptom of a complaining heart, no doubt, and in those cases God is using it to teach me trust in Him. On the other hand, it can be real conviction, a sort of holy discontentment, and in those cases God is using it to stir me up to greater ambition--hopefully ambition with His glory at its core. I'm a lazy person who likes my status quo. This unsettled feeling is shaking out some of the knots, making me take steps I may not have before.

Well. Here I love how Isaiah proclaims that we can wait for the Lord and earnestly desire Him, and that this is the most important thing. Desiring Him, I mean. Because He's the one who guarantees our peace, and with Scripture in hand we can stand right here in His path, instead of worrying that we've taken the wrong one.

You have indeed done for us all our works. And ordained them for us before time began.

I Want to Be Where You Are by Sovereign Grace Music on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment