05 July 2012

chocolate covered blueberry smoothie

blueberry muffin
{image credit: mellow stuff}
As Madame Blueberry once learned, it's always best to be thankful for what we have . . . and right now that includes blueberry season! Yay antioxidants and all that, but the real reason to celebrate is blueberries' incredible sweetness, lovely color, and ease of picking. (Whenever I crawl around a strawberry field I find myself grumbling, Why can't you guys be on nice eye-level bushes like blueberries?)

Nothing compares to fresh local fruit; when I was a wee lass, I thought I disliked blueberries, but that was due to several bad experiences with mushy, sour January berries shipped in from a continent away. Then we went to Spring Valley and I realized the (very great) error of my ways.

Here is a smoothie to showcase summer's best fruit, plus a little chocolate for fun.

---

The Chocolate Covered Blueberry

1/3 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 a frozen banana
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons raw honey
splash of vanilla

As per usual, dump it all into the blender and process until smooth. If you use fresh rather than frozen fruit, you may want to add several ice cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment