28 January 2013

thing #2: beauty beyond today

Boreas by J.W. Waterhouse
Second sequel to this post.
I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
-Job 19:25-27
As it destroys my fantasies about independence, a physical trial like this one also demolishes the confidence I may try to place in outward beauty.

Two truths in particular have comforted me in this less-than-lovely season: 
1) Today's body is passing away, and I'm getting a new one.
2) God has redeemed my soul, and it will stay redeemed whether I look like Helen of Troy or Jabba the Hutt.
On the days when I cannot even remotely fool myself into thinking that I meet this world's standards of attractiveness, you better believe I'm grateful. Grateful to remember that I shall see God-- that the beauty of His kingdom will shine brighter than any cosmetics commercial, and that I will share in its glory with my resurrected, renewed body.

1 comment:

  1. The hope of our full redemption, including the physical body will become sweeter as you grow older. But at the base of all the promised hope for the future is the source of that hope, the rise Christ He lives forever... what a hope what a proof, a risen Jesus interceding for us!!!!!!

    daddus

    ReplyDelete