03 July 2013

because apparently we can never have too many muffin recipes

I've hopped back on the grain wagon, in a manner of speaking. After more than a year of totally avoiding grains, I started experimenting with them again. It seems that gluten was my biggest problem, after all, but even that I can have in limited quantities. :)

Paleo eating seems to work perfectly for some people, and I do agree that grains pose dangers when consumed in American-style proportions (blood sugar rollercoaster, tooth decay, possible gluten sensitivities, you probably know the drill). For now, though, I am enjoying my oatmeal.

I know it sounds so trendy to say that I'm "low gluten" or "gluten free." Oh well, there it is. You do what works for ya. And I'm glad that I can still munch on a good piece of ciabatta or a slice of German chocolate cake when the occasion arises.


On one of my recent gluten-y baking excursions I came up with these delicious muffins. I made them to go alongside chili; they'd be good just about anywhere.

If you don't have a stoneware muffin pan I highly recommend getting one. If you preheat it along with the oven, it makes the most delicious, evenly baked, golden-brown muffins ever.

---

Cornbread Cranberry Muffins
(original recipe from Sugarcrafter)

2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup melted coconut oil*
1/3 cup honey
1 1/4 cups stone ground cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed dried cranberries

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees and prepare muffin pan.
2) In mixing bowl beat eggs until light yellow in color. Whisk in milk, melted coconut oil, and honey until smooth.
3) In smaller bowl whisk together remaining ingredients thoroughly. Gently stir dry ingredients into wet, just until combined (there may still be a few lumps).
4) Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 12-15 minutes or just until muffins are golden brown at the edges and firm in the center. Don't overbake them. :) Remove to cool on wire rack. Serve with plenty of butter.

*Or butter if you prefer.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the Gluten and Grain Train!!! : ) I totally agree with you that most people's extreme gluten intolerance is actually based on just eating a diet that is almost entirely glutenous. I think if more people ate what they should (mostly fruits, veggies, and some protein) than moderate gluten intake wouldn't pose much of a problem. It is that moderation thing that people can't seem to handle...

    In other news, those muffins look delicious!

    ReplyDelete