21 May 2014

ahoy, discoveries! vol. 17 [not-so-homemade edition]

Linked up with Five Favorites.


1)

Kiss My Face Whenever shampoo and conditioner. They are perfectly balanced, neither drying nor oily. Since I started using these and generally stripping things back with my hair care, I have loved the result. I found out that I needed fewer products to make my hair look good; I either scrunch it with some mousse and hairspray for a wavy look, or let it air dry, add some argan oil serum, and finish it off with the hairdryer and flat iron.

The green tea and lime extracts in this pairing smell great, as does the lavender in my favorite shaving cream (also from Kiss My Face). Since showers are one of my few "me times," I like to make 'em as nice as possible. :)

2)

Earthpaste! It's good stuff. Jared doesn't think that anything made of clay and salt can properly clean one's teeth. I beg to differ. It makes my mouth feel truly sparkling-- unlike many other toothpastes-- and tastes good without being too sweet.

3)

To go along with the Earthpaste: I have very sensitive gums, so I've started to buy Preserve ultra soft toothbrushes. They have a slightly annoying "we're lean and green and make our products from recycled yogurt cups" schtick. All I care about is how incredibly soft the bristles are.

4)

Cetaphil Restoraderm. I have recurring eczema and dry skin, so this was recommended to me by a dermatologist. Cetaphil claims to use "ceramide technology" to repair damaged skin. Hmm, okay. Whether or not that's marketing mumbo-jumbo, it's thick and creamy and definitely does the job well.

5)

I saved the best for last: Tanzia Omega Skin Repair. My face is at times the bane of my existence. You may recall its many trials and tribulations during pregnancy. Even after I had Ellie, it has often flared without any apparent reason. I had been using straight organic argan oil, which was the only thing I could find that wouldn't irritate the rash. This moisturizer, however, has done far more than simply "not irritate": it actually heals. It's also extremely light, and never makes me feel greasy. I almost cried the first week I used it, because I had forgotten what a smooth, healthy face felt like.

No es cheapo, but worth the money for me.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Petrie23 May, 2014 10:28

    Earthpaste sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

    I like to make my own hygiene products (or should I say, I like thinking of myself as the sort of person who makes their own products), but I have quickly tired of "crunchy" things that just don't work well. Mostly I stick to lotions and salves now, which are easy and work for us. I tried the vinegar/baking soda hair thing and it was HORRIBLE. Your deodorant recipe sounds interesting - would you mind sharing the method and amounts? The one homemade (or, sort-of homemade) deodorant I've found that actually works is just rubbing on a slice of lemon, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't end up to be very cost-effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. If it doesn't work, I don't care how cheap and crunchy it is!! I combine 1 part baking soda with 2 parts arrowroot powder or cornstarch, and enough coconut oil to make it creamy and soft: usually about 2 parts (depends on the weather). Then I add essential oils like rosemary, tea tree, and lavender.

    It works quite well for me. Maybe it will for you too. I think people's body chemistry differs and has something to do with its effectiveness: you might want to bump up the baking soda, for example. :)

    ReplyDelete